Young adult fiction is full of cliches. Many others created lists but, I decided to create a better one. My list is the ultimate, don't-go-there-unless you create something fresh, list for the teen guy characters. I am sure that writers can arise to find new YA characters that offer new voices.
My list of teen guy cliches:
- The lost dude who has a bad relationship with his father
- The lost dude who is angry or sad because doesn't know his father
- The kid who who finds out he has these amazing powers
- The wimpy guy who must be the side kick for the strong heroine
- The genius who just invents something or stirs up magic when has a problem
- The chosen one who must find their destiny
- The prince or royal highness that somehow didn't know their lineage
- The brooding, annoyed guy who just curses a lot to prove how tough he is
- The burly, over muscled bully who is hiding some secret that will make us like him
- The geek who is brilliant but incredibly socially awkward or uncoordinated
- The musician who is so ridiculously deep with their lyrics and emotions
- The token black dude (or gay dude...) who is there to explain diversity
- The sweet, wimpy guy who the hot girl will never notice
Ok... there are more but this is a good start. What am I missing? And, writers beware and avoid the cliches. Teen guy characters are ready to be more.